First of all, how did you get your awesome nickname? What is the story behind Gnarly Charley?
– I got the name Gnarly Charley in 1994, when I was running a surf camp in Jacksonville Beach. Some grom just walked up to me and said “You are gnaaarly… gnarly Charley!”, and then started laughing. Ever since it has been my name.
Please tell us about Gnarly Charley’s Grom Surf series.
– The Gnarly Charley Grom Surf Series is all about kids learning how to surf in contests at a very young age. We have a whitewater division for kids that can’t quite catch waves on their own – also parents can assist them. Then we have U10, 11-14 and longboard divisions that are open. All divisons are divided by gender. What I do, is that I teach these groms all about good sportsmanship, to do good in school and around the home – basically, being a great representative for surfing both in and out of the water.
You are a resident in Florida, right? What is your favorite local spot?
– Yupp, I live in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. My favorite local surfing spot is NSB INLET.
Staying on the same topic, what is your favorite worldwide surf spot?
– I have done a lot of travelling around the world. I have been to Hawaii, Califronia, Peru, Mexico, Barbados, Bahamas, Argentina, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Australia. My favorite spot of all time is Snapper Rocks in Australia.
Where can the superstoked readers learn more about GC’s Grom Surf Series?
– All groms and parents can read more about the series by going to the website at GnarlyCharleySurfSeries.com, or they can visit our page on facebook.
Getting gnarly with Charley and his Grom Surf Series. Check out his website for more information.
“- Hey Charley… you are gnaaaarly!”