Surfing in the Maldives – paradise set on coral formations.
Superstoked recently received some amazing footage from the Surf Inn crew in the Maldives. Just mentioning surfing in the Maldives will send the standard surfer’s mind in to daydreaming mode, and this footage will do nothing but ignite your inner desire to pack the surfboard and get on the first flight to the Maldivian capital Malé.
The Maldivian islands consist of 26 atolls, comprising of 1200 islands spread along an 800km vertical orientation. Coral formations, stacked on top of each other over a very long time gave the Maldives its birthright. It is an absolutely idyllic area to live in, and inevitably have become extremely popular for tourists – which gave way for massive luxury resorts – something that resulted in higher prices. This has its pros and cons, as the islands would be absolutely swamped with tourists, even more so than it is today, had the prices been of, let us say, Sri Lankan equivalent.
KANDI HIBARU SURF VIDEO:
Superstoked Magazine was lucky enough to exchange some words with Joao Cravo of Surfinn and the Kandi Hibaru surf boat – the only boat you will need for your surfing needs when you are down in the Maldives. Surfing in the Maldives is a true blast with them. Visit at http://www.surfinn.travel/surfcamps/maldives/kandi-hibaru for more information.
1. Hello Joao, tell us a little bit about the film we are about to see?
-This is a surf trip organized by Surfinn Surf Camps last summer to some of the best surf spots in the Maldives. Me and the boys were stoked! with such Paradise the Maldives are. We had been surfing in the past in the Male atolls but the south is were the gem is! No crowds, just me and some friends surfing. The surf trip was memorable.
2. What was the highlight of the journey?
– The highlight of the journey? hummm, well there are several things that will stay. the piece and relaxation on board and often the unique sunsets (the video shows one in the end), of course the awesome waves, sunny lazy days, desert islands where we had breakfast, the life on board of the Surfinn Kandi Hibaru, the day we swam we mantas, well…all together combined!
3. What is the best thing about surfing in the Maldives?
– This is the closest you will ever be to paradise I think. Waves, food, weather, people, remoteness, you name it.
4. What is the music track you dig right now?
– I cant recall but someone had it on board and it was along with the one the dingui (small boat) driver was singing every morning while taking us to the lineup.
5. Anyone you want to say hi too?
– Well, to the staff and to the Surfinn Kandi Hibaru (http://www.surfinn.travel/surfcamps/maldives/kandi-hibaru) crew that made it all possible.
Spot list (north to south):
• Pasta Point
Facts regarding Maldives:
• Capital: Malé (4°10′N 73°30′E)
• Population: 328,536 (2012)
• Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
• Calling code: +960
Essentials for the trip: